What is PRP (platelet-rich plasma)?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a concentrated blood plasma that contains from three to five times the number of platelets in normal circulating blood. It also contains platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), transforming growth factor (TGF) and other bioactive proteins that promote wound healing and hair growth.
The PRP technique - (Platelet Rich Plasma) which is a new technique, is now offered in the sector of hair restoration. PRP is a non-surgical alternative solution which can help in the battle against hair loss and thinning. PRP can be applied together with the hair transplant procedure or as a stand-alone treatment, that includes increased hair density, and it takes about 45 minutes.
We are now able to increase the growth factors up to five times, which are naturally found in the patient's blood, by spinning the whole blood in a centrifuge.
PRP is a great treatment for men and women who are fighting hair loss and thinning. The benefits of PRP include increasing hair density, decreasing hair loss and reversing miniaturization.
How is the treatment performed?
PRP (Platelet-rich plasma) is a non-surgical solution to help people who are fighting against hair loss. The whole procedure takes about 45 minutes to an hour and it is a non-invasive method.
The treatment plan involves taking a small amount of blood, which is then centrifuged for 14 minutes. Meanwhile, the scalp is disinfected, a topical paralyzing cream is applied and a derma-roller is performed.
Once the platelets and growth factors are separated, a very small needle (similar to a botox one) is used to inject the growth factors into the thinning areas of the scalp. Then, another procedure is scheduled for a series repeated from 6 to 8 weeks apart from the initial session.
Injections before your PRP treatment
BEFORE YOUR PRP TREATMENT (Platelet Rich Plasma)
- - Please inform our doctor if you are taking any anticoagulant, as this could be a contraindication to this treatment. These drugs include Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin.
- - Tylenol / Paracetamol (acetaminophen) can be used as needed prior to treatment.
- - If you are taking large beta-blockers such as Inderal (Propranolol), please contact your doctor as this medicine may need to be changed to a specific beta-blocker before treatment.
- - If possible, please refrain or minimize smoking at least three days before and one day after the treatment. Smoking can affect the healing and oxygen delivery to the scalp, so the results can be improved for a longer time, if you are able to quit smoking before and after the treatment.
- - Prescription drugs (including heart and blood pressure medications) should be taken until the day before the treatment, and restarting the day after.
- - Minimize alcohol consumption the day before your PRP treatment.
The morning of your treatment
- - Please have a shower the morning of the treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly with a normal shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels or other hair styling products. If you are wearing a hair system, please remove it before shampooing and do not wear it before PRP treatments.
- - Please eat regularly the morning of the treatment and drink about ½ liter of water at least 2 hours before the treatment.
- - Sedation is NOT required for PRP treatments. However, if you prefer, you can ask for it. Since these can make you sleepy, you can't drive by yourself on that day.
FAQ on PRP treatment
Q: How does PRP work?
A: We use PRP to stimulate the follicle growth, thereby reversing miniaturization hair loss (thinning hair) observed in androgenic alopecia (common baldness).
Q: What are the benefits of PRP treatment?
A: Platelet rich plasma offers an additional way to stimulate hair growth, especially in people who cannot use other forms of treatment. For example, it can be very useful if someone is not an ideal candidate for a hair transplant, or cannot use the finasteride. It is also useful in treating the thinning of the crown where a transplant may not be appropriate.
Q: What is the treatment program?
A: If PRP hair loss therapy is appropriate for the candidate, we can start the treatment right after the consultation. We will administer the following two treatments at 6-week intervals. You will be called upon to return 3 months later. If there are notable improvements, follow-up treatments will be administered twice a year depending on your progress.
Q: When should I expect to see results?
A: Patients usually see results in 3-6 months. However, the response time can be variable.
Q: How long does PRP treatment take?
A: It is carried out during a simple office visit; about 30-45 minutes.
Q: Can I return to my normal routine after the treatment?
R: Yes, you can.
Q: Will it work on a bald area?
A: It works best where there is thinning hair, so it will work to its full potential on a bald area.
Q: How does the treatment work?
A: Treatment with platelet-rich plasma is relatively new, but there is evidence substantial anecdotal that are useful. We will monitor your progress with serial photographs for evaluate the results.
Q: Will it work for me?
A: There is an individualized response to this treatment with an efficacy spectrum. Actually, it does not work in all cases. Patients are monitored to assess the benefits of therapy.
Q: Is the treatment used in both men and women?
R: Yes, it is.
Q: How much blood is taken in a standard PRP treatment?
A: The amount may vary for each patient, depending on the extent of the hair loss, but the standard quantity is 50 ccs.
Q: Will my head be sore later?
A: You may have very temporary pain and swelling, but many patients do not experience it.
Q: How many injections are made throughout the scalp?
R: It depends on the area. Your doctor will determine it at the time of treatment.
Q: Are there any cons for having PRP treatment?
A: There is some inconvenience in the fact that it is necessary to take blood and there may be a temporary swelling in the treated area. Platelet-rich plasma appears to be extremely safe, since we are using your serum, but it is not successful in hair growth in all cases.